How was the LROC patch designed?
The LROC patch was designed by the LROC team, with the following goals in mind:
- Illustrate the LROC objectives
- Employ a design language similar to other NASA patches
What are the images featured in the LROC Patch?
- The lower left image represents the LROC goal of mapping dynamic light conditions near the poles.
- The lower right image is from Galileo and signifies the LROC WAC multispectral capabilities.
- The top half is from an Apollo Panoramic image of the Apollo 17 landing site to indicate that LROC is exploring sites for future crewed missions to the surface.
- The Latin logo along the bottom translates to "Science Enables Exploration, Exploration Enables Science", calling out the synergy between engineering and science.